Current views on European Cities
When people talk of rich history they talk about Rome and Athens, when people think of fine art and good food they talk of Paris, when people speak of business and touristic attractions they think of London and Madrid. All of these cities respectively hold their charm and offer fantastic experiences and places to see.
Lisbon the forgotten gem of Europe
- or so we thought?
Lisbon has often been a city that has been over-looked until recently. In fact, tourists to the city have been so impressed by its charm in recent years, that in 2009 it received a 'Best Travel Award' for being the best City Break Destination and in 2010 it won the 'Consumers Choice Award' for Best Destination; judged on quality of life, infrastructure, culture and touristic attractions. It is also currently renown to have one of the best and vibrant nightlifes in Europe.
Why did Lisbon win it's reputation?
Sun, Sun and more sun....
Lisbon truly has everything you would want to see in a capital city, over time it is has held onto its soul and rich and varied culture. It has fascinating history, culture & arts , tourist attractions and business facilities. It also has incredible weather which allows tourists to visit it all year round. One of the interesting landscape features of Lisbon is that it is set within many hills all looking over the mouth of the river Tagus and out to the Atlantic Ocean. Not only does the city have the buzz of a capital city it also has a coastline lined with beaches so has a work and play feel with the beaches always busy at any opportunity with surfers and sun-worshippers. A feature that distinguishes Lisbon is the 25 Abril Bridge, in style it hints at the the golden gate bride in San San Francisco and was built to symbolise Portuguese revolution.
As one of the first colonial empires it has a rich and interesting history and has housed many different civilisations. These different civilisations have all left a mark on the cities architecture, with a mix of Moorish, Roman,Celtic, Phonencian and Visigoth remains all over the city. Another of Lisbon's charms is that it is one of the world's main maritime routes due to its central location. It also saw a 52% rise in cruise ship calls between January- March this year and hosts regattas every few months which are encouraged by the Port. All the maritime activity makes for an interesting and busy port.
Lisbon and it's districts
Lisbon is an intimate and welcoming city, with a long lunch and Cafe culture which is infectious in its relaxed nature.
The heart of the city which houses the main shopping and banking district.
- Rossio Square
- The heart and centre point of Lisbon
- Municipal Square
- Lisbon city hall
- Santa Justa Elevator
- Tower landmark which over looks Lisbon and connects the lowest and highest parts of the city
- Avenida da Liberdade
- Main Avenue of Lisbon, full of exclusive shops and cafes
Barrio Alto & Chiado
Barrio Alto & Chiado is best known for its fantastic nightlife, and some of the city of Lisbon's best bars and tastiest restaurants.
- Ancient Art Museum
- 14th- 20th century European artwork by Bosch
- Sao Roque Church
- Richest church interior in Lisbon
- Miradouro de Sao Pedro de Alcantra
- Garden with panoramic views across the views
- Estela Basilica
- Vast neoclassical eye-catching monument
Belem is the historic and cultural capital of Lisbon.
- Torre de Belem
- Built to guard the entrance to Lisbon's harbour, it acted as the start point for many a voyage.
- A fantastic tribute to Portugal's modern architecture; a must see
- Padrao dos Descobrimentos
- Built to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Prince Henry the Navigators death
- Monsteiro Jerinmos
- One of the most impressive symbols from the age of Discovery with strong moorish influence
- Museum Berardo
- One of the best modern art collections in the world
Historic centre of Lisbon which boasts incredible views of the city.
- Castle of St Georges
- Historic castle with views over the city
- The Cathedral
- The oldest building in Lisbon
- Tile Museum
- Five centuries of decorative ceramic titles
Parque das Nações
- Thought to be the most impressive in the world
- Pauilho do Conhecimento
- Interactive science museum
- The Cable Cars
- Take a ride along the business district in space-age feel pods
- Calouste Gulbenkian Musuem & Modern Art Centre
- Don't forget to check out the beautiful gardens between these must see places
- One of the largest shopping centres in Europe
- Fronteira Palace
- Stunning gardens and spectacular tile work
We hope you will be making a trip to Lisbon soon!
Lisbon Wedding Planner